7.22.2014

SUSAN KEISER: In Memory's Dream

from the series "In Memory's Dream"
 Photograph © Susan Keiser

from the series "In Memory's Dream"
 Photograph © Susan Keiser

from the series "In Memory's Dream"
 Photograph © Susan Keiser

"My parents weren’t much for taking pictures. The entire family archive fit into a small cardboard box—two barely started albums and a pile of photo envelopes from various drugstores. Growing up I’d spent hours studying and restudying those snapshots, looking for insights even in the badly blurred ones, hoping they could tell me what really happened. Part memory, mostly invention, the stories I wove became my history."
 
"The box sat unopened for years until a frozen pipe burst, flooding the basement of my mother’s empty house. While the ruined photos were irreplaceable, the history was my own, and the loss freed me to reimag(in)e my story on a larger scale, from a more universal point of view. The result is A River Made of Time and Memory, photographs that are not the record of actual events, but of emotional truths, shaped and colored by years of reflection. Fresh visions appear, images aggregate into chapters, and the river flows on. " – Susan Keiser (read more here)


No comments: