11.17.2015

FILTER PHOTO FESTIVAL 2015: Portfolio Review Round-Up / Danielle Voirin

Photograph © Danielle Voirin

Photograph © Danielle Voirin

I met Danielle Voirin while I was a Portfolio Reviewer for the 7th Annual Filter Photo Festival in Chicago. While at Filter, I reviewed over 60 photographers portfolio’s and/or book projects. I'll try to post as many as possible over the next month or so....


I grew up in a small town in the Midwest, near Chicago.  After a degree in psychology at DePaul University, I studied photography at Columbia Collage Chicago and EFET in Paris, where I am currently based.  I shoot interiors, travel, and editorial projects.  In parallel to commissions, I have several series of self-portraits that have evolved mainly through artist residencies and are linked through the quest for allowing yourself space to create, pushing through the inner conflicts to finding your own voice. 

Whatever the subject, I aspire to create images of poetry.  Robert Frank articulated the feeling well, in the November 1951 issue of Life when he said, “When people look at my pictures I want them to feel the way they do when they want to read a line of a poem twice.”  And when Jay Maisel said, “There was a phrase that Arthur Miller used – ‘I’m trying to create the poem from the evidence.’ I’m not trying to change anything that’s in front of me, I’m trying to give it respect and I’m trying to call attention to it.”

I hope for my photography to be a place you want to spend time. A space of grace and light.  And I think these qualities can be found anywhere we choose to look.

No comments: