6.09.2016

KRIS SANFORD: Through The Lens of Desire


 
Flowered Dresses 


Necklace

Intertwined



I met Kris Sanford (above) at Fotofest 2016 and was so impressed by the presentation of her series Through the Lens of Desire. I'm pleased to see her exhibition opens at the Elizabeth Houston Gallery in New York City June 15th and runs through July 24th, 2016. She will also be giving an Artist Talk and Pride Toast June 23rd from 6-8pm at the Gallery.
  
"Through the Lens of Desire creates implied narratives using snapshots from the 1920s-1950s.  Vernacular photographs from that era were created as private keepsakes and the unselfconscious intimacy they depict feels authentic and relatable.  As modern viewers, we witness personal moments that were never intended to be public.  By purposefully selecting images that picture men together and women together I am creating an imaginary queer past.  I am drawn to the subtle points of contact and the spaces between the figures pictured.  Each gesture or distracted glance holds a story, and it is these stories that reflect my own desire and experiences."

"Relationships, real or imagined, are at the center of this work.  Growing up queer, I searched for a history that spoke to me—included me.  In my family history, there were no couples that mirrored my own intimate relationships.  That didn’t keep me from imagining such couples. This project brings a contemporary rereading to old photographs to address sexuality and relationships in a subtle way. My images are works of fiction, where I project my own dreams onto moments from the past." – Kris Sanford.
 
Through the Lens of Desire / Kris Sanford
 June 15-July 24, 2016
Artist Talk and Pride Toast: June 23rd, 6 to 8pm
  
34 East 1st Street
New York, NY

No comments: