5.19.2014

MEG BIRNBAUM: Sisters of the Commonwealth

Frieda B Fabulous 2013 © Meg Birnbaum

Amanda Tyan-Whip 2012 © Meg Birnbaum

Eunice X and KrisTall Mighty 2012 © Meg Birnbaum

"I discovered the Boston Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence in a local magazine. I had never seen anything quite like them before but I knew I wanted to meet and photograph them. I was already fascinated by costuming -the empowerment and permission it gives you to explore other sides of yourself. The Sisters have shown me new ways to think about social activism and giving and I am honored to put their images out into the world. The reception at the Davis/Orton gallery was lively, giving me the opportunity too meet new people and start new conversations." –Meg Birnbaum


"There are 3,000-plus Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence worldwide, with 18 sisters, novices, postulates, and aspirants in the Boston area. For three years, I have walked in gay pride parades with them, screamed encouragements alongside them at Boston’s annual AIDS Walk, accompanied them to fancy fundraising dinners at city hotels, brought friends to their monthly Drag Bingo charity events, and sailed with them while they've sold raffle tickets on Boston harbor cruises....Read and View Meg Birnbaum's Photo Portfolio on L'Oeil de la Photographie
EXHIBITION
Photographs by Meg Birnbaum
Sisters of the Commonwealth
May 16 - June 22, 2014
Davis Orton Gallery
114 Warren Street, Hudson, NY 12534

Also showing: Photographs by Aline Smithson

No comments: