7.17.2011

SIMONE LUECK: Cuba TV

News Program
Photograph (c) Simone Lueck

The Last Supper
Photograph (c) Simone Lueck


"In 2000, I tagged along with a good friend on a two-week trip to Cuba. I took my 35mm camera and a bunch of film. The first thing I noticed in Havana was that the city was dark at night. There were no streetlights, porch lights or living-room lamps. It was pitch black except for the faint colorful glow spilling out of open doors everywhere, and it came from the TVs.

During Broadcast hours, all TV's in Cuba are on, no matter if they are being watched or just serving as background noise. The TV sets themselves are outdated, Pre-Revolution relics imported from America or Russia, close to twenty years ago." –Simone Lueck, Cuba TV

6 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

amazing photos...yup.

R Montalban said...

I like this, and I am sure it will be a really great exhibition.

Meera Rao said...

That reminds me of early TV days in India too :)

davidikus said...

Amusingly, this does bring back memories of my 1970s & 1980s childhood. The series itself is particularly beguiling - it shows a completely different world, a v enticing one.

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

The Artist Within Us said...

Greetings Elizabeth,

Thank yo for your recent visit to my site.

It is nice to see another perspective to Cuba, a place I would love to visit. A friend of mine, Charles Anselmo travels there a few times a year, teaching photography. He also has taken may photographs of Cuba and the architecture.

Warmest regards,
Egmont

Judy Martin said...

lovely