7.27.2011

SARA JANE BOYERS: Finding Chinatown

Stacked Chairs, Hanford CA 2009
Photograph (c) Sara Jane Boyers

Pork Delivered, Downtown NYC 2006
Photograph (c) Sara Jane Boyers

I am fascinated by the light, vibrance and history of the Chinatowns. The vitality of each living, changing community and the general welcoming nature of those who pass through inspire me always. –Sara Jane Boyers

"Sara Jane Boyers began this series, Finding Chinatown, in San Francisco in 2001, home to the oldest Chinatown in America and the largest Chinese community outside of Asia. This initial examination awakened Boyers’ childhood memories of visiting the Los Angeles Chinatown near her father’s downtown office, and inspired her to begin a tour of Chinatowns across North America. Over the past decade Boyers has photographed fifty Chinatowns in the United States and Canada."

Finding Chinatown | Photographs by Sara Jane Boyers
July 30 – September 3, 2011
CRAIG KRULL GALLERY, Santa Monica

6 comments:

Susan May Tell said...

These are wonderful and wonderfully seen photographs! Wish I was in Los Angeles to see the exhibition!

R Montalban said...

Interesting views.

Z said...

WOW! Second image reminded a painting of Rembrandt " the flayed ox" which is at Louvre Museum.
It is as brutal and straightforward as Rembrandt.
It shocked me! Great job!

Caio Fern said...

I really like the way Milk is written.
It is good to see not conventional images of Chinatown.
I don't know what the hell everybody that visits the San Francisco's Chinatown always bring me a gift.
They say I would love it. ok, I believe. I always like Chinatown everywhere in any country, I even worked at Londover's Chinatown for a short period of time.
Would like even more if they showed me more personal and unique photos like these ones here and less touristic stuff.

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

the first is so perfect-a masterpiece in what we can see if we look. and anytime I see "chinatown" I can not help but see that 'face' and that taped up nose-and that 2nd shot is so That movie. pgt

Pierre BOYER said...

Intersting "reportage"...
Greetings from France,

Pierre