1.04.2010

JEFF BRIDGES: The Widelux Camera


Peter Bogdanovich: Lining Up A Shot, Texasville 1990
Photograph (c) Jeff Bridges /All Rights Reserved

Sam Elliot and Jeff Bridges: 'The Stranger' and 'The Dude', The Big Lebowski 1998 Photograph (c) Jeff Bridges /All Rights Reserved

"The Wide-Lux is a fickle mistress; its viewfinder isn't accurate, and there's no manual focus, so it has an arbitrariness to it, a capricious quality. I like that. It's something I aspire to in all my work --- a lack of preciousness that makes things more human and honest, a willingness to receive what's there in the moment, and to let go of the result. Getting out of the way seems to be one of the main tasks for me as an artist."Jeff Bridges, Intro to PICTURES

JEFF BRIDGES has one of the most creative and enjoyable WEBSITES to explore. Among his drawings, music, and film news, there are a couple of (not to missed) Photo Galleries of his behind-the-scenes photographs of Making Iron Man, The Amateurs, and Crazy Heart, taken with a Widelux camera given to him by his wife, photographer Susan Geston. Also posted on his site are useful tips on using the Widelux.

PICTURES is Jeff Bridges book of photographs taken over twenty years, on dozens of movie sets, published by powerHouse Books/Herter Studio. With a foreword by Peter Bogdanovich, the book includes handwritten captions and personal commentary throughout. The proceeds from the sale of the book go to the Motion Picture & Television Fund, a non-profit organization that offers charitable care and support to film-industry workers.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. His photography is wonderful. His Acting is also fantastic. And I love your blog.

kyungmee said...

Wow! I never knew..very cool! Nice shots that were picked for your site. I will check it out. thanks! Happy NEw year!

Rafael Rogerio said...

Crazy about these images. Wonderful geeky camera to use. Real interesting effects. Obrigado!

John F Martin said...

Jeff has a picture of me taken with his Widelux. I shared an elevator with him and some of his friends when he was in SF. He told them to go in the corner where I was so he could get their picture. I'm the guy in the middle.

jlmartin63 said...

I saw these photos in a magazine, years ago, they are great; I love the panoramic format, for that reason I bought a digital camera with 16:9 format when they began to be sold; it forced me to "frame" in a completely new and exciting way, every picture should look like a still from a movie!
and jeff bridges is brilliant!!

Aline Smithson said...

I went to the opening of this work at the Rose Gallery a couple of years ago--the images were remarkable, and loved seeing the behind the scenes on movie sets.

txusman said...

guau!!! quien fuese cámara

saludos.

Caio Fernandes said...

I am a fan!! I just try to imagine the life of an actor. It must be really hard to wait around for all the things to get done on the set to begin acting. I believe I would die in his place, which is why I imagine that to take pictures without any duty to do so, must feel freeing... In his place I would be very anxious because all of the process that goes into working on a film. I would adore to develope work that was able to give me an opposite experience. Because of my bad english, I think I have made a mess, but comment is a compliment of admiration. Have a fantastic 2010!

Four Seasons in a Life said...

I remember getting my hands on a Widelux over twenty years ago when I borrowed it from a friend and loved it. The results are somewhat unpredictable but that is also part of the charm, as is the widescreen effect.

Thank you for sharing this actors wonderful work with us.

Warmest regards
Egmont

Jon Phillips said...

Absolutely love JBs website. Didn't know we was such a good photog!

Unknown said...

Wow. I have never seen such interest in the Wideluxe (or is it the Dude?). Film is coming back (kinda like vinyl, Ja?) Here are some of my Wideluxe shots.. http://www.lightstalkers.org/peter_levitan

Style, She Wrote said...

Fabulous pictures. I love the quote that accompanied the article.

House of Hullabaloo said...

Well, I'm checking his blog out pronto - I'm in love with him!

Susan May Tell said...

His photos ARE great. When I photographed him in 1998, he was kind enough to go out on a balcony for a better shot. He said he was photographing, too, and that he'd send me a book. Alas, he never did, but I know how long my to-do list is of sending pix to people that I still haven't gotten around to doing ...

JL Cancio said...

hey, I newer know anithing of that! Thnks!

PJ said...

I've been looking forward to seeing these photos ever since his last appearance on Charlie Rose.

PJ said...

The website is just as promised. Linked you both up on Facebook.