9.29.2009

PELLE CASS: Selected People

Frog Pond, Boston Common
Copyright (c) Pelle Cass /All Rights Reserved

Celeste's Friends
Copyright (c)
Pelle Cass /All Rights Reserved

Football, Cypress Field, Brookline, MA
Copyright (c)
Pelle Cass /All Rights Reserved

Each of the pictures in the series Selected People is a composite of around a hundred or more exposures of unposed people taken over periods that range from five minutes to several days. With the camera on a tripod, I take dozens of pictures. Back in the studio with Photoshop, I leave in exactly the figures I choose, always in the precise position of the original scene. I organize the figures in my scenes by the color of their clothing, by mood, age, attractiveness, gesture, position, race, or even just by oddness. The result is both the product of imagination and a document of fact.

Pelle Cass was awarded a Yaddo residency for 2010 to work on his Selected People Project. Cass was named a 2009 Critical Mass Top 50 photographer by Photolucida, Portland, OR. Pelle Cass Website

10 comments:

Mª Angeles B. said...

Bonitas fotos , llenas de gente con variadas actividades.

Saludos.

Claudine/canelle said...

Bonsoir , je ne connaissais pas cette méthode de travail , cela donne de très belles photos surtout très originales
bonne soirée

will said...

Aw, those are terrific.
Yeah. Thanks for sharing.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Elizabeth
These images are fascinating. You have some interesting and informative posts on photography here. I will have to look through them all! Thanks for visiting me.

Bea said...

A different kind of photography. I'm on the fence about this. I like it but then I know Photoshop has been involved. sigh..... I guess I like those photos that capture a rare moment in time and space and haven't been "adjusted" BUT that's just me. :)Bea

Caio Fern said...

i think the tird one is the better because the shadows were worked more presisely giving a idea of realism .

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

Beautiful color and composition-this is what I saw immediately-in photo1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Georges_Seurat_-_Un_dimanche_apr%C3%A8s-midi_%C3%A0_l%27%C3%8Ele_de_la_Grande_Jatte.jpg
g.

Kcalpesh said...

Wow, I want to learn how to do this.. any tutorials or references that you can share?

- Pixellicious Photos

Equiponderance said...

Hi, you have interesting post and really nice photos:)

Lucie G said...

Very nice and interesting photos, it gives a fun impression, like a ballet.