2.01.2010

RICHARD HAINES: Behind The Scenes Exhibit Milan 02.04.10

Self Portrait Richard Haines on "What I Saw Today"

Photographer Josh Olins
Illustration by Richard Haines for Pennyblack Magalog

Illustration by Richard Haines for Pennyblack Magalog

Illustration by Richard Haines for Pennyblack Magalog

Dries Van Noten as seen on "What I Saw Today"
Menswear Illustrations by Richard Haines

I moved to NYC to illustrate, but the market was shrinking and going to photography (ahem) and I was so intimidated by my heros - Antonio and Kenneth Paul Block, that I decided to switch over to fashion design. I worked with Calvin Klein, Perry Ellis, Sean Combs, Bill Blass, J.Crew...it was a good career, but my passion was still drawing.

+ + +

RICHARD HAINES studied fine art and graphic arts at Virginia's Commonwealth University (VCU). Nowadays, you'll find Richard Haines seated front row at Fashion Week’s most desirable shows busily sketching. He often refers to New York City "as an endless runway"; befitting of a man who moved to the big city to pursue illustration, became a successful fashion designer, and who has come full circle as one of today’s most sought after fashion illustrators.

Haines work is regularly seen in the pages of InStyle Magazine and his popular must-see blog, What I Saw Today, which features his personal and professional work, has received accolades from respected critics at Paper Magazine, New York Magazine, men.style.com, refinery29.com and getkempt.com, to name just a few. "I
thought if I started a blog of what I saw around me, it would be a good way of showing what was going on...the rest is, as they say, history. The response to my illustration has been beyond my wildest dreams." In July 2009, Haines had his first solo exhibition in New York City.

February 4th-18th, artist Richard Haines 'Behind The Scenes' illustrations and unpublished sketches will be exhibited at PENNYBLACK c. so Vittorio Emanuele ang. Piazza Libety, 2 in Milano, Italy. PENNYBLACK MAGALOG

RICHARD HAINES WHAT I SAW TODAY

6 comments:

Caio Fern said...

thank you , i had fun meeting his drawings !

JL Cancio said...

Thnks Eli, again!

Crystal @ Plush Palate said...

Wonderful to stumble upon your lovely blog! xoxo

catherine said...

Nice!

Anonymous said...

"What I Saw Today" is truly respectable.

Erik Hanson said...

Awesom post , well written...Cool Blog there Elizabeth!