2.13.2018

THEO CAROL : The Interview

Photograph © Theo Carol

Photograph © Theo Carol

Photograph © Theo Carol

Photograph © Theo Carol

David J. Carol © Theo Carol

Although photographer Theo Carol is only a Junior at Syosset High School in New York, he is already burning up the Gallery scene with his images. He may have been slightly influenced early on by his father, well-known photographer David J. Carol, but his work has taken off on it's own. I spoke with Theo about his photography and two upcoming shows:

EA: You’ve just come off of several group shows; one at the prestigious Los Angeles Center of Photography; another at The PhotoPlace Gallery in Middlebury, Vermont; a third at The Stitches and Pics Gallery in Sackets Harbor, New York; a fourth, Shades of Black and White, juried by Susan Burnstein at The SE Center for Photography; and finally The Tree Talk Exhibition online at The Griffin Museum through May 5, 2018.

What’s next for you?

TC: Well my work is up right now at Drexel University's High School Exhibition 2017. I also have two photos in an exhibition at Southeast Center for Photography which is running until February 24th. 

It sounds crazy, but I also have two other shows coming up in the next month or so. The ONE 2017 exhibition at the Jadite Gallery, NYC, April 3-14 2018, juried by Lenscratch Publisher Aline Smithson; and the Lens 2018 show at the Perspective Gallery in Evanston, Illinois, March 1- April 1, 2018, juried by Paula Tognarelli, Executive Director and Curator of the Griffin Museum of Photography.

EA: What was your experience like on seeing your work hanging in the galleries for the first time?

TC: All the shows have been pretty far from home. The only one Ive seen in person was at Drexel University. It was interesting to see my work on a wall in a group show as opposed to on my computer screen at home. Seeing my photograph in public was odd but also exciting.

EA: When did you develop an interest in Photography?

TC: I first began taking pictures at The Usdan Center for Visual and Performing Arts when was I was 9 years old. I did this for few summers until I started playing trumpet. I continued at Usdan but stopped taking pictures and focused solely on my music.

EA: What was your first camera?

TC: My Dad gave me a used Canon 30D when I was 9 years old.

EA: What camera are you currently using?

TC: I got a Fuji X100T for my 16th birthday last April. I started taking pictures again last summer for the first time in quite a few years. My father had an exhibition at the Leica Gallery in Soho, New York, where I got to meet the people from Leica Akademie. I told them about my interest in photography and sent them a link to an article written about me and my photographs in PDN EDU.  To my great surprise towards the end of 2017 they offered to lend me a Leica Q!! Very exciting. Its obviously a great camera. It has made it easier for me to shoot at night because of the amazing quality at higher ISOs. I also think the 28mm lens works better for me than the 35 lens on the Fuji X100T.

EA: How is that working for you compared to your earlier camera/s?

TC: The Leica's auto focus is faster. I like the feel of it, very solid. Everything on the camera seems to be in the right place. It also seems to work better at night. I like to shoot in low light and the results with the Leica Q are better than the other cameras Ive tried.

EA: What are you looking for when you photograph?

TC: I'm looking for unique people and peculiar subjects in general. I like to shoot through openings, windows, doorways, etc.  I love to include reflections and interesting light. I want to show things that people wouldn't see if I didn't take a picture.