2.08.2018

MONA KUHN: Bushes and Succulents

 Bushes and Succulents © Mona Kuhn

 Bushes and Succulents © Mona Kuhn

Bushes and Succulents © Mona Kuhn

Bushes and Succulents © Mona Kuhn


MONA KUHN: Bushes and Succulents

"Bushes and Succulents” is my artistic response to the ongoing currents in contemporary feminism…. Reminiscent of Georgia O’Keefe’s floral paintings, your eyes wander around the graceful lines, not knowing exactly what you are looking at. When I look at the large print, I no longer know if I am floating underwater looking at corals or female parts. You enter a realm of visual pleasure and wonder…. The images titled “Bushes” are a celebration of the female essence, the au-naturel crown, confident, raw, elegant yet confrontational and unapologetic.  A celebration of the female body and its essence….The solarization process reveals human imperfections, not only in the metallic brilliance of the skin, but also brings to the surface our struggles, our strengths, our power….These plants seemed to be able to endure so much. They had a power of endurance through good and bad times. That echoed, I thought, the way women have survived through the ages. And, I couldn’t help but think to myself – the “Succulents" look like vulvas....I’m playing with the viewer because, in reality, I’m not exposing anything – Mona Kuhn

Bushes and Succulents: Mona Kuhn
The Ravestijn Gallery / Haute Photographie
Art Rotterdam 2018, The Netherlands

The Ravestijn Gallery at PHOTOFAIRS
San Francisco February 23 – 25, 2018



No comments: