8.07.2011

TOM CHAMBERS: Dreaming In Reverse / Soñando Hacia Atrás

Presumptuous Guests / Invitados Presuntuosos
Photograph (c) Tom Chambers

Two Chairs / Dos Sillas
Photograph (c) Tom Chambers

Stuck In The Key Of C / Atrapado en la Tecla de C
Photograph (c) Tom Chambers

Glass Flower / Flor de Vidrio Photograph (c) Tom Chambers

"Twenty-five years ago I traveled freely throughout the Mexican countryside where I relished a warm, welcoming, and slow-paced style of living. I was heartened by the physical beauty of the landscape and the simple, pure lifestyles shared by both the Hispanic and indigenous people of Mexico. A sense of spirituality and magic were imbedded in their religious practices, crafts, art, dance, and literature...Sensing that little time remains to photograph the beauty of Mexico, I have created the series, Dreaming In Reverse, to express both my concern for cultural loss, as well as my appreciation for the inherent loveliness of Mexican life. Employing Magic Realism, an art genre used in the early twentieth century in Mexico, I have attempted to create images of Mexico which seem true and believable, but also perhaps improbable."– Photographer Tom Chambers

photo-eye Editions just released a portfolio of twelve pigment ink prints from this series, Dreaming In Reverse, housed in an archival anodized aluminum box is published in a limited edition of thirty with two artist’s and two printer’s proofs. The prints were produced with archival pigment inks printed on hahnemühle photo rag baryta.

Dreaming In Reverse / Soñando Hacia Atrás
Photographs by Tom Chambers

August 5 - September 25

photo-eye Gallery, Santa Fe

+ + +



States Puzzle
Photograph (c) Aline Smithson


"We live in a world full of technical distractions. I see my children gathered around their computers as though it’s a summer campfire, faces aglow, as they peer into a world of friends and fantasy, participating in a new forms of entertainment that further remove them from the childhood that I experienced...

...And it’s because of this that I have been looking at bookshelves and untouched childhood pursuits with a new eye. With great sadness, I realize that these objects will someday be obsolete, at least in their current incarnations. And like a curator of antiquities, I see them now as beautiful objects to be admired and preserved, if only on film."—Aline Smithson


3 comments:

Caio Fern said...

hummm.... why didn't I see it before , wonderful works.

Rey Cuba Photography said...

what a wonderful job, it´s amazing how many talented people live across this amazing planet.

andreas kuhn, apple certified support professional 10.5 und 10.6 (acsp), apple certified technical coordinator 10.5 und 10.6 (actc) said...

stunningly beautiful!