8.10.2014

AMY POWELL: ERICA + I

 Photograph © Amy Powell

Photograph © Amy Powell

Photograph © Amy Powell

Photograph © Amy Powell

"When my mother gave birth to my half-sister Erica, I was twenty years old. Sitting in the hospital room with my camera, she made giving birth look easy.  I photographed as Erica made her way into the world, cut her umbilical cord myself, and was the very first to hold her.  In that moment, I gave her a name she inevitably didn't get to keep.  And she peed on me. Ever since, having a much younger sibling has given me the unique experience of observing the way in which I may have been raised. Photographing Erica has become a window into my own elusive childhood." –Amy Powell

Erica:  I see my camera.  I see your camera.  You always print your pictures big.  It ain't fair.  I want mine big.  Can you get me more cameras again for Christmas next year?
Amy:  Sure, why do you want more cameras?
Erica:  I like taking pictures.
Amy:  What do you like to take pictures of?
Erica:  My toys.  Hannah Montana.  My mom.  My princess tent.  You got that tent for me, and now it's broken. 
Amy:  Anything else you like to photograph?
Erica:  I think that's it mommy... I mean Amy!

1 comment:

Gina Easley said...

Wow - GORGEOUS!