10.25.2009

HALLOWEEN TREAT: Vintage Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix with Texas psychedelic group The Moving Sidewalks.
C
enter, Lead singer Billy Gibbons, pre-ZZ Top, Fort Worth, Texas, 1968

BILLY GIBBONS founded the '60's Texas psychedelic group The Moving Sidewalks. They came into prominence opening for The Jimi Hendrix Experience during Hendrix's first American tour. Billy was still in high school when Hendrix, one of the greatest electric guitarist in rock history, named Gibbons his favorite guitar player on "The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson". Billy went on to ZZ Top fame (Sharp Dressed Man, Legs). Photographer unknown. l to r: Tom Moore, Jimi Hendrix, Don Summers, Billy Gibbons (pre-ZZ Top), Dan Mitchell. Happy Halloween!

9 comments:

will said...

Fun photo. Proof we were once young.

During that time, I thought Hendrix was OK but I preferred the guitar sound of John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service. It was he that was a major factor for the SF psychedelic sound. And guitarist Korma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna was also terrific.

Caio Fern said...

thanks for this halloween treat !!
this is a very cool photo !!

Victor said...

Thanks for this blast from the past. I well remember getting ZZ Top's first LP and thinking Gibbons hung the moon in a blues-rock kinda way. I read somewhere that he used a quarter instead of a guitar pick. I liked his playing more than Jimi's then but Hendrix has maybe stood the test of time a little better...maybe.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Love the oldies sound that Hendrix brought to the mix. I just wanted to thank you for poppin' in and jumpin' on my blog. I sure hop ya'll enjoy the ride.

Have a great day!!!

Tore Claesson said...

A treat indeed. Thanks.

John Martin said...

Who is that guy with the shades in the back?

liz.blog said...

Don Summers. I think he played bass. There's a caption with all the names at the end of the paragraph.

Unknown said...

Elazabeth, this was when we were in highschool together. I couldn't help myself. Had to get back in touch with you. Great site! I hope the work gets to flowing pretty soon. Love ya. David Thomason

Andrea Ingram said...

Lovely image of hendrix and nice blg too. Have you seen this vid about hendrix on our island here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86M04XJU_PM